Thursday, July 7, 2011

Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated Episode 23 Review

Well, it's time once again for yet another Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated episode review and blog. Sorry for the lateness of this blog, but I had laptop trouble(my monitor was screwed up, and I just got it back today, so this is a bit late; however, since I have the laptop back, I will attempt to write these sooner.

This week's installment was titled "A Haunting In Crystal Cove", and was a rather notable episode because it returns us to the Mr. E/Curse/Original Mystery Incorporated story line that has been going on all season.

The storyline definitely has picked up in recent weeks, as we have gotten major clues as to the Curse of Crystal Cove, what happened to the original Mystery Incorporated, and the true identities of Mr. E and Angel Dynamite, as well as what Professor Pericles is really up to.

Speaking of which, Professor Pericles is very intregal to this week's story, but we'll get to that later. First off, let's talk about the plot of this week's episode, which has to deal with a poltergeist in Fred's house, which apparently is intent on driving Fred's dad crazy, and more then likely out of his house for good.

Granted, Fred's dad doesn't like his son solving mysteries, but in this case, he needs Fred and the gang to stake out his house and capture said poltergiest, before he does any future damage to the elder Jones, and before he sends the mayor to a mental hospital or worse.

Quite a bit happened in this episode, but seeing as how I don't want to make this blog into a novel, i'll just give you all the cliff notes:

First off, yet again Velma mentions to Daphne about getting dumped in favor of Scooby Doo, to which I say: Velma please stop already, we get it, we know what happened to you.

Another mention of Traps Illustrated, only this time Fred is sleeping with an issue of it, why I have no idea.

Fred's mom was mentioned of all things, for the first time in this series.

Apparently we also get some depth into Fred's life, and family as well; from what it sounds like, he is afraid of losing Daphne the same way he lost his mother, who apparently left when he was a baby(which seems very suspicious to me; like why would she leave unless she had a reason to, or unless she was in danger... something to keep in mind for the last 3 episodes).

Interestingly enough Fred's dad was so desperate to figure things out(OK, not really), to hire a Voodoo priestess/goddess to get rid of the poltergiest. Of course, that didn't work, because the gang found out that maybe the poltergeist wasn't what he seemed to be.

After some various chases, Fred saying he would give up mystery solving if he couldn't crack the case, and Shaggy and Scooby getting chased by a killer pizza(which was probably one of the highlights of the episode), we get a Fred trap and a solution to the case.

And the solution is.... Professor Pericles was the Poltergeist! He gave himself away by dropping sunflower seeds all over the house, which the gang were able to pick up rather easily as a clue to the poltergeist's true idendity.

Pericles also hacked Fred's computer and messed with his traps, which was how he was able to scare Fred's dad out of his wits.

The reason he did this was because of a puzzle piece that Fred's dad had, but hid from view so that no one could find it. In reality though, the piece is really something called a Planespheric Disc, and Pericles mentions that it was stolen from said parrot by Fred's dad some years ago.

Fred's dad naturally denies it, but of course Pericles is right(while Fred's dad doesn't directly say it of course). But after trapping the gang, Pericles gets the disc piece back, and flies off to make his sinister plans for Mystery Incorporated, and anyone who associates with them.

What does Pericles want the disc for? And why did he say Fred's dad stole the piece from him?

Those are questions we will find out in the last 3 episodes of the season, which are coming up the next 3 Tuesdays. Oh yeah, I almost forgot: on July 26th, there will be a special chat at Velma Chat, which is located through Velma Dinkley.com and the Velma Dinkley Yahoo Group(look up Velma Chat online and you should be able to find it).

It will take place at 7:30 PM Eastern and it will be held to discuss the season 1 finale of SDMI. I will be there, and I hope you will be as well, as I would love to talk to you guys there.

I will give this episode a 9 out of 10; partly because it dealt with a lot of the major plotlines in this series so far, and was a harbinger of things to come.

Until next week when I have another blog for you, I hope all of you have fun reading this, and have a good week.

3 comments:

Sagg said...

Meh, I think Velma was just responding to Daphne's questions about Fred's behavior. It doesn't seem to me that Velma was trying to be smart or sound whiny. Recall that she was the one who sent Shaggy "back to his dog". Yes, that's probably my Velma bias shining through. :)

It's clear to me (and no, I'm not adding about the future episodes in this) that Fred Sr. is up to something. Deliberately going back into the house and getting what is yet another disk? "Confiscating" said disk after Pericles is arrested a while back? I'm sorry, but I thought the police are supposed to do that.

Loved how Pericles turned the tables on the gang trap-wise. One doesn't see that often. The parrot may just be the most diabolical villain in the series. The plot get more interesting...

hobbyfan said...

I refer to a scene at school where Daphne complains to Velma about Fred becoming obsessed with her, now that they're dating. Well, I think I know where that idea came from, and I just posted it over at Saturday Morning Archives. Methinks this is another case of Mitch Watson playing fast & loose with not only SD history, but with long-time CN fans. Seems there was a movement to make Fred even more of a tool back then.

Pericles is meant to be the ultimate arch-enemy for MI, to transition them out of chasing and debunking fake spooks & monsters, I do believe. In that regard, it would be welcome. However, it gets lost in the other hokum that's going on.

3 eps remain to the finale, but I think we're beginning to see where Watson is going with this. Certainly not elementary.

Scoobyfan1 said...

@Sagg, all good points.

@hobbyfan, I replied to your comment over at Toonzone Forums about Pericles being a Moriarty type villain, and I whole heartedly agree with you.

I said more over there, but I think Scooby and the gang should take on more non supernatural villains in the future.

It would be a new challenge for them, and I think it would be cool if that happened.